Saturday, October 2, 2010

Reading at Risk?


While reading this article I couldn't stop thinking about the "Reading at Risk" survey we read for class. Both articles are talking about the same thing: reading rates of the nation! Like the "Reading at Risk" survey, the respondents of this survey that was done in Taiwan were above 18. 
... and I'd say, Taiwan is doing better than the states.

In Taiwan, cities such as Taipei City, Taichung City, Kaoshiung City, Chiayi City, Hsinchu City, and Matsu, each have a concentration of 50~56% of respondents who do love to read and read regularly. In other cities and counties, the percentages are a lot lower. In the article it did not state the exact percentages, but it did mention that in Taiwan as a whole, approximately 43% rarely read or never read.

43%, it's close to half of Taiwan, but I think Taiwan is still doing okay, since the "not reading" rate decreased from the previous survey that took place two years ago, which was near 51% of Taiwan. Right about half. Also, another good news is that the average reading time in day Taiwanese has slightly increased as well.

The article also points out that readers want lower taxes on books (printed books) and how they prefer to read e-books. Thought I don't enjoy reading books on screen, but I can surely sympathize with the readers who demand lower tax. The price of paper has risen, and so have books. Everytime I go to a bookstore and check the prices these days I am always surprised. I guess I am still used to the old price range of books. One suggestion I will give to those who are deeply concerned about book prices is to go shop books at Books.com.tw. This is Taiwan's largest online bookstore. Prices are cheaper than most offline bookstore, and sometimes some certain books are on 30% discount!
.

2 comments:

  1. Books today are still unaffordable to many people, especially those in poverty. A novel can cost up to 600 NT and a textbook can cost up to 3000 NT. The price is like a barrier to reading and most people don't go to the library anymore. Books.com.tw is a great site because it's so easy and convenient but it's still costly nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great find, Iris! I read an essay recently that libraries will one day become more like museums where people will go to look at first editions and other valuable books.
    Skip two hundred years to the future: "What's that mommy?" "Oh, I think that's a book. I haven't seen one of these since I was a little girl."
    Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete