Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Walking young.



"Everyone knows that walking limbers the aging body, but did you know it keeps the mind supple as well?" 

Well, to be honest, I did NOT know that walking benefits the aging body--I knew it benefits the body, I did not know it could benefit particularly the AGING body. Also, ofcourse I knew that walking benefits the mind, since exercising relieves stress and all, but I did not know that it would help maintain a young mind as well.

A number of elders were experimented by walking regularly and results came out that as their bodies became more fit, their memory improved as well. Younger body and younger minds!

Most of the time when we talk about aging, what people are concerned about the most is probably the loss of memory, or only being able to have short term memory. But now there is a solution that everyone capable to do. Therefore, less worries!
However, the research says that there must be consistency. The elders who only maintained the routine of walking for six months had no significant trends, but others who maintained for twelve months show visible changes.

Then I began to think of myself. I do like to walk, but I only walk occasionally. This might sound like an excuse, but in Taiwan I don't have much opportunity. In Hsinchu you can't walk to subway stations--because there is none! I can't even walk to school since it is too far away and it will take too much time in a busy daily  schedule. Well, I think I should make more excuses for going out and walk, instead of making excuses of why I can't.
.

1 comment:

  1. Mind over body and body over mind: I think both are true. The ending paragraph is a great example of an exploratory argument. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete